Monday, December 27, 2004

Napoleon Dynamite, Trends 2005, and "Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda"

I have too often experienced the manifestation of one of "my" ideas later through someone who actually bothered to bring it into form. I guess discipline and craftsmanship are 9/10s of the law.

One of the DVDs scored this Christmas was "Napoleon Dynamite", which I would recommend to everyone, although I admit that much of my delight in it is that I grew up about 10 miles away from where it was filmed (Preston, ID) and I know far too many people like those portrayed in the film. I have always wanted to tell a similar story, but now feel somewhat trumped. Good for Jared Hess for just doing it!

Now, something that my intuition told me over a year ago was a good idea - according to trend mavens, live band karaoke is coming on strong in 2005. I love the notion of a more participatory karaoke, with others filling in on instruments, and backing tracks just covering some of the crucial holes and keeping the tempo where it should be. Something in between open mike/stage and full-on karaoke seems like a great idea. I worry that we are becoming/have become too much a spectator society vs. a participant society. Everybody should have a shot at the limelight, even one bathed in cheese. I have always wanted to do this, and will in 2005.

So, Timmy, the moral of this post is that "woulda, shoulda, coulda" sucks. Trust your intuition, try it, fail at it if necessary (and if you absolutely need to label it so), but get out there and make something.

1 Comments:

Blogger Paul S. said...

hey buddy,
paul s. here, was just cruising your blog looking for ideas for when i meet with christina. it just so happens that my roommates in boulder and i are karaoke FIENDS, and have contemplated this very notion ourselves. and then of course there's the actual band Punk Rock Karaoke. personally i think that karaoke can actually be used as a spiritual tool, similar in function to the way the tibetan buddhists gain "empowerments" from visualization practices with their pantheon of deities. all i know is that every time i sing "Welcome to the Jungle" or "Sweet Child O' Mine", some kick-ass axl-energy takes me over for about an hour. now to harness that to help my own creativity!
-p

3:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home